Uncategorized

Posts filed under Uncategorized

Super sharp statistician was confused by statistics, at first

Filed in Uncategorized

When I first learned a little statistics, I felt confused, and others I spoke to confessed that they had similar feelings. Not because the mathematics was difficult-most of that was a lot easier than pure mathematics-but because I found it difficult to follow the logic by which inferences were arrived at from data. It sounded as if the statement that a null hypothesis was rejected at the 5% level meant that there was only a 5% chance of that hypothesis was true, and yet the books warned me that this was not a permissible interpretation. Similarly, the statement that a 95% confidence interval for an unknown parameter ran from -2 to +2 sounded as if the parameter lay in that interval with 95% probability and yet I was warned that all I could say was that if I carried out similar procedures time after time then the unknown parameters would lie in the confidence intervals I constructed 95% of the time. It appeared that the books I looked at were not answering the questions that would naturally occur to a beginner, and that instead they answered some rather recondite questions which no-one was likely to want to ask.

This quote was written by Peter M Lee, author of Bayesian Statistics: An Introduction.

Science Classroom Makeovers

Filed in Uncategorized

Dan Meyer identifies a need for a change in instructor and student mindsets in math and science classrooms.

This material will not appear on any assessments. Authentic scenarios for problems to be solved include ambiguities, extra information, not enough information, and very often, multiple ways to develop solutions. This will help you to understand why authentic assessments benefit students.

Oenology Post Formats
Click to view/hide
Archives
Click to view/hide
Disclaimer
Click to view/hide
This unofficial website is maintained and owned by Kevin Cummins. Content provided does not reflect the views or opinions of the San Diego Community College District or San Diego Mesa College. Comments about the content on this site should be directed to the web site owner at: biostats@collegestem.us (which will forward to the official Mesa email address).
Click to view/hide